Desired outcomes include:
- Improving community-based natural resource management;
- Delineation of zones of different usage, defined management regulations and sanctions;
- A permanent monitoring presence providing valuable data for lemur management and reducing threats to lemurs;
Habitat loss & degradation
- About 40 hectares of restored rainforest and improved habitat quality/connectivity through rainforest restoration;
- Adoption of novel, sustainable and higher performing agricultural techniques by local communities and thus a reduction of slash-and-burn agriculture and pressure on lemur habitat;
- Decrease of lemur and other bushmeat hunting as a result of animal protein produced by fish farming;
- Alternative sustainable income generated by ecotourism reduces pressure on lemur habitat;
- Increased understanding about wildlife and ecology leads to increased appreciation of it.
This project is implemented by Mitsinjo.