Improving Reforestation and Community Livelihoods for the conservation of the Critically Endangered Northern Sportive Lemur at Montagne des Français
2017 - 2019
- Hiring local community members to help monitor these lemurs provides data on habitat usage, behaviour and life history for three target lemur species, which can be utilized to develop more efficient conservation strategies;
- Establishing fuel wood planting provides an alternative to charcoal while contributing towards the goal of eliminating its production;
Habitat loss & degradation
- Expanding lemur habitat through community reforestation efforts;
- Evaluate feasibility of alternative agricultural methodologies to counter current slash-and-burn practices;
- Improving stewardship of biological resources through events with local schools and community members.
This project is implemented by Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.