Ensuring the Protection of the Alaotran Gentle Lemur’s Natural Habitat
2019 - 2020
- Reduce marsh burning to less than 1,500 hectares/year by 2020;
- Increase and improve priority Bandro habitat to 6,000 hectares by 2020;
- Ensure that approximately 70% of the population of the three most important communities show positive pro-lemur attitudes, know that infractions are fined, and report reduction in willingness to engage in illegal marsh clearance;
Habitat loss & degradation
- Ensure that local associations within Alaotra Rano Soa (ARS) directly and effectively managing 80% of the marsh area with 440 people from 26 associations receiving training by 2020;
- Develop an ecosystem management-economic benefits system and integrate it within the post-2020 Alaotra preotected area management plan.
This project is implemented by Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.