Sustainable Lemur Conservation and Community-Based Action in the Ambositra-Vondrozo Forest Corridor
2018 - 2022
Golden Bamboo Lemur Hapalemur aureus
Milne-Edward’s Sifaka Propithecus edwardsi
Eastern Lesser Bamboo Lemur Hapalemur griseus
- Poaching of lemurs reduced by 60% in the target area;
- Knowledge of lemurs improved in the project area which covers 32,000 hectares;
- That 90% of people living in villages bordering the rainforest project area are aware of the uniqueness of local biodiversity and report an increased appreciation of lemurs;
Habitat loss & degradation
- Lemur-friendly income-generation activities and alternative sources of protein developed for 50% of forest dwellers;
- The capacity of 9 Community Forest Management associations strengthened in management and governance, particularly legislation.
- That 45,000 endemic trees are planted in the project target area to meet lemur and human needs.
This project is implemented by NY Tyanintsika.